Friday 25 November 2011

Christmas budgets: How much 'should' you spend?

I've been thinking alot about spending recently.  This is to be expected in the run up to Christmas, especially in the current financial climate.*   My hubby and I have set ourselves strict budgets, as we did last year, and although I feel somewhat cruel monitoring our spend so closely, it is unfortunately the way it has to be to ensure we don't end up in debt.

But, through casual conversations with other mums, I have realised that everyone has 'completely ridiculous different' ideas as to how much they should spend on their children.

So it got me to thinking.  What is an appropriate total spend per child for this magical day?



*Translation:  cash-strapped, debt-ridden nation, that spent far more than we could afford and are now having to pay for it.

2 comments:

  1. I was having this conversation with my husband the other day, I have friends on Facebook posting pics of their children's presents that take up most of their living room, I have a sister who is always struggling financially spending £100 plus on each child. I think many people take leave of their senses when it comes to Christmas shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They certainly do... I know people who are buying computer consoles along with, not just one game, but five or six. Others that are buying their child an ipad, along with lots of other things. That must be pushing £500!

    Interesting the amount spent at Christmas doesn't seem to necessarily be proportional to the amount these families earn, with less well off families seemingly spending more at this time of year than higher earners..

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Share with StumbleUpon

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...